Either way you probably don’t have a lot of time off work, unless you’re between jobs so it’s going to be a quick trip. You’re going to need a solid plan of attack. There’s lots to do and not much time to cram it into!
MAKE A LIST
Restaurants and food:
- Three Olives Greek Restaurant in Newtown for all of the food and a glass of the Kleoni semi-sweet red wine. OK, maybe two glasses.
- The Middle Feast in Merrylands for the Vegetarian mixed plate.
- Nando’s anywhere because chippies!
- Twelve Spices in Canley Heights because I can’t find any Thai food that stands up to the restaurants back home
- A Kebab from anywhere that isn’t too divey
- Harry’s Cafe de Wheels anywhere, it looks like they’ve sprung up everywhere. For pies with mashed potato and peas. Yum.
- Real bacon
- Bubble-O Bill
- Lolly bananas
- Musk sticks
- Cherry Ripe
- Cadbury’s chocolate
- Cadbury’s Snack chocolate
- Butternut Snaps
- Mint Slice
- Kit Kats
- Desiccated coconut
Now you know why it’s important to start this list early. It’s difficult to come up with everything in one sitting. You need time to get all of those irrational cravings in.
Then there are my favourite small boutiques that just don’t offer shipping to the US. Get in early, order stuff and get them sent to a very good friend in Oz, awaiting your visit. I’ve been a little overzealous with this one.
There’s bound to be stuff back home that you’re missing. A favourite book, some keepsake that you forgot and were too scared to lose in the post or even all of the stuff that I’ve listed above.
I found an awesome birthday present for Second Brother (who won’t celebrate the day of his birth until May sometime) but it’s way too heavy and I’m too cheap to ship it so I’m just taking it with me wrapped and leaving it with my Sister-In-Law who blogs about beautiful things here. This may be the first she’s heard of this plan…
Take it all with you and either leave some postage money with a friend to send it off when the time is right or leave it with the giftee with stict instructions not to open until the special day.